(i)The Particulars of its organisation, functions and duties
Particulars of Organisations :
ODISHA BIGYAN ACADEMY,
Plot No.- B/2 (Infront of Alok Bharati Tower)
Sahid Nagar, Bhubaneswar-751 007, Odisha, India
E-mail: [email protected]
Fax- 0674 – 2547256
The Odisha Bigyan Academy was conceptualised way back in the year 1981, by a group of Senior Scientists of Odisha belonging to different disciplines of science. Through their incessant endeavours, devoted zest & zeal, it came into existence at Cuttack on the auspicious day of Utkal Dibas” – the 1st day of April of that year under the patronage of Late Prof. Dr. Keshab Chandra Sahu. The primary aims & objectives of the academy is to promote and popularise scientific knowledge emanating from various frontier of Science & Technology, among the common public. The academy promotes scientific literacy, temper and awareness that serve the wider interest of the State. The Academy was duly registered under `Registration of Societies Act’ during 1981-82. In due recognition of its performance and appropriateness, and in order to widen its scope and area of activities the Govt. of Odisha recognize Odisha Bigyan Academy as an organization suitable for the purpose and accepted the newly adopted constitution of the Odisha Bigyan Academy, dt. 25th November 1984 vide Resolution No. 3577/STE., dt. 21.3.1985.
Function and duties :
- To cultivate and promote science and technology in all its branches
- To act as a body of scientists of eminence for promoting and safeguarding of the interests of scientists in the state and to project their research works, talents, scientific contributions etc. to the community, country and world at large
- To promote and maintain liaison between Scientists of different specializations and different scientific disciplines, acting as a coordinating body and encouraging scientists in the scientific pursuits.
- To undertake through properly constituted Committees and Bodies such scientific work of relevance to the State or of national importance, as the Council may be called upon to perform by the public and the Government.
- To organise and arrange conferences, seminars, lectures and symposia at different places in Odisha.
- To publish proceedings, journals, memoirs, transactions and other works related to Science & Technology as may be found desirable.
- To commemorate and felicitate scientists and persons who have made significant contributions in various fields of science, technology & scientific literatures.
- To promote and maintain liaison between men of science and men of letters interested in science.
- To cooperate with other organizations in India having similar objects and to appoint representatives of the Academy to act on national bodies.
- To effect co-ordination between societies, institutions and Government scientific departments and services.
- To study, explore, examine and reinterpret ancient scientific literatures and traditional customs and beliefs in the light of modern scientific knowledge.
- To prevent emigration or intended emigration of distressed scientists by taking up heir cause and ventilating the same with the authorities.
- To secure and manage funds and endowments for scientific research and promotion of Science & Technology.
- To sponsor and take up such other activities which will further the cause of science, scientists and scientific workers.
- To do and perform all other acts, matters and things that may assist in, be conducive to or be necessary for the fulfillment of the above mentioned objects of the Academy.
(ii) Powers and duties of its officers and employees
The following shall be the officers of the Academy namely:
- Joint Secretary
- The President shall be appointed by the Government of Odisha and shall hold office for a term of 2 years.
- The President shall have the power to preside over the General Council and such other committees of which he is named a member and to take decisions on behalf of the General Council or the Executive Council when circumstances so warrant subject to ratification by the concerned authority at its next meeting.
- The Vice-President shall be appointed by the Government of Odisha and shall hold office for a term of 2 years.
- The Vice-President shall discharge the responsibilities of the President in his absence.
- He shall discharge such other functions as assigned by the President on his behalf.
- The Secretary shall be the Principal Executive Officer of the Academy and shall be appointed by the Government of Odisha for such period and on such terms and conditions as they shall determine.
- Secretary shall be ex-officio Secretary of the General Council, the Executive Council, and all other standing committees which shall be set up by the Genera! Council or the Executive Council.
(iii) It shall be the duties of the Secretary:
- To be the custodian of the records and such other property of the Academy as the Executive Council shall commit to his charges.
- To conduct the official correspondences on behalf of the authorities of the Academy.
- To issue all notices convening the meetings of the authorities of the Academy and of all committees appointed by any of these authorities.
- To keep the minutes of all meetings of the authorities of the Academy and of all committees appointed by any of those authorities.
- To maintain the accounts of the Academy and
- To present an annual report of the working of the Academy to General Council.
4. Joint Secretary
- The Joint Secretary shall be appointed by the Government of Odisha and shall hold office for a term of 2 years.
- Joint Secretary shall discharge the functions of the Secretary in his absence and such other duties and responsibilities as entrusted to him by the Executive Council.